Overview of a Resignation Letter (2 Weeks’ Notice)
If you feel like you’re in need of a 2 week notice resignation letter, you may be asking yourself certain questions. Whether you’ve had it with your boss, you’re burnt out, or you just need to move on for personal reasons, resigning from your job can be a cathartic or stressful experience. Before moving further you also have to learn how to write a 2 week notice letter professionally. There are a ton of examples of good resignation letters. But always remember the following:
- Be formal and polite about your departure
- Don’t use this as an opportunity to criticize your employer, your boss, or your co-workers
- Keep it simple and fact-based
- Most of all, don’t complain
Key Points to Include in a 2 week notice Resignation Letter
- State your intent to resign. Importantly, make sure you have everything lined up before you submit this letter.
- Provide a last day of employment. Essentially, allow adequate time for a transition and to allow your employer to train a replacement. Notably, this allows both parties to deal with this transition amicably and with respect
- Reason for resignation (optional). Feel free to provide reasons for your resignation. Typically, these may include a move to a different location; a better opportunity; or for private personal reasons.
- Contact information (optional). Usually, tying up loose ends will make a better long-term impression on employers. Subsequently, offering your contact information can help ease the transition.
How to write a 2-week notice letter
Use a formal business format and try to keep your resignation letters short. Be thankful for the opportunities that you received during your time there and make sure you have included all the key points mentioned above. Lastly, be sure to keep a friendly tone for last impressions are just as important as first ones.
Summing up on the Resignation Letter
Essentially, a formal resignation letter is a key first step to your departure from your current company. However, you’ll also need to work out how this message is communicated to the rest of your team and the company. Importantly, work with your manager and your human resource representative to coordinate that for a smooth transition.
You Might Also Like
Along with this document, make sure you see these other templates in our library:
- Shareholder Agreement
- Option Agreement
- Employee Option Repurchase Agreement
- Share Appreciation Rights Plan
- Share Option Plan
The Zegal Template Library
Zegal's template library represents a complete and curated list of essential and premium business templates that can be used directly, for everyday business needs. Importantly, whether you're a startup or a larger enterprise, you will find that our Zegal automation solution allows anyone to create a legal agreement, any time, anywhere. All without a need for an expensive lawyer. Why do we do this? Well, we think that running your business day-to-day is important, and having these templates at your fingertips allows you to not miss a beat!
Lawyers draft and curate all of our legal templates for ease of understanding using plain English. Just fill out our guided questionnaires, and we will create the contract for you. Using our patent-pending expert rules engine, we automate the creation of complex legal contracts.
Try it for free today!