Easy to Use Legal Templates
Quickly and easily create any legal agreement for you or your team.
Straightforward pricing plans and bespoke packages built to simplify all your legal demands.
Vast Document Library
Zegal’s comprehensive collection of agreements means you always have what you need at your fingertips.
What is Zegal?
Watch to see how Zegal can help your business create, negotiate, and sign legal documents and contracts.
What is a Contract Addendum Template?
A Contract Addendum is a document that adds or amends clauses of a signed contract. After signing the original contract, it is possible that the parties wish to change what they have previously agreed on, for example, a different pricing or some additional obligations that the parties did not foresee.
A Contract Addendum sets out clearly the changes to the original contract, and that apart from those changes the contract will remain in full force and effect.Create Now
Why choose Zegal?
With Zegal, you can reduce legal risks and improve the efficiency of your contract workflow, allowing you to focus on your core business operations.
Our platform is flexible, scalable, and tailored to the needs of your business.
What is an Addendum to Contract?
A contract addendum is a supplementary document attached to the original contract to provide additional terms, conditions, or clarifications.
Rather than altering the contract’s terms, an addendum introduces new elements or elaborates on specific provisions to provide a more comprehensive understanding.
A contract addendum serves to fine-tune or extend the contractual obligations without invalidating the existing agreement between the parties involved.
Example of an Addendum to a Contract
For instance, if an employment contract initially specifies a 40-hour workweek, but both the employer and the employee later agree to flexible working hours or remote work options, an addendum can be created to address these new arrangements.
The addendum would establish the terms and conditions related to the new working arrangements, such as required office days, reporting mechanisms, or expectations concerning availability during remote work.
What does an Addendum to Contract do?
An addendum aims to clarify and resolve ambiguities that may arise during the contractual relationship.
It is a formal and legally binding way to adjust a contract without having to renegotiate the entire document, which can be particularly beneficial for long-term contracts where conditions may change over time and parties wish to adapt without dismantling the foundation of their original agreement.
It’s worth noting that a contract addendum should always be consistent with the intent and spirit of the original contract. It should only contradict or override existing clauses if both parties explicitly agree to the changes and reflect them through proper amendment procedures.
Drafting a Contract Addendum template
Before drafting an addendum, reviewing the existing contract is advisable to understand any modification restrictions or limitations.
Furthermore, all parties involved should consent to the new terms laid out in the addendum.
Once the addendum is drafted, it is usually signed by all parties involved and attached to the original contract, becoming part of the formal agreement.
Essential points to remember for an Addendum to Contract
Here are some essential points to bear in mind whilst drafting a contract addendum:
- Ensure you’re utilising the same text formats, such as fonts, margins, and style as in the original contract.
- Make certain that it is evident that the new document is an addendum by introducing a new title whilst also citing the original with its name and date for reference.
- State the parties engaged in the contract.
- Specify the date from which the addendum shall come into effect.
- Elucidate the alterations that the addendum aims to implement in the original contract.
- Conclude the document with a final paragraph to prevent subsequent modifications to the addendum.
- Include a signature block with names and titles for both parties to sign.
- Insert a notary block.
- If multiple changes have been made to the contract, enumerate the amendments.
Contract Addendum vs. Amendments
An addendum and an amendment to a contract are distinct.
Whilst an addendum introduces new elements or clarifications to the original terms of a contract, an amendment alters the terms of the agreement.
Below are some further differences between the two:
- Impact on the Contract An addendum furnishes supplementary information to an original contract without invalidating its terms. It operates as a separate, additional document. Conversely, an amendment alters the existing terms of a contract, modifying them to new terms agreed upon by both parties. It supersedes the original contract’s terms rather than adding new ones.
- Implementation of Changes An addendum is appended to an existing agreement as an additional document, whereas an amendment directly alters the original document.
- Execution An amendment necessitates execution by both parties involved. However, an addendum may be created by any party involved.
- Frequency For amendments, should there be more than one in an existing contract, the contract will generally be rewritten to reflect the new terms. For addenda, new ones can be affixed to the original contract without necessitating a rewrite.
Legal regulations governing Contract Addenda
Addenda must accord with existing contract terms; otherwise, they shall not be enforceable.
Most contracts specify conditions under which terms may be modified. Whilst reviewing the original contract, be vigilant for terms that preclude addenda.
Investigate details such as the permission to modify the contract without the other party’s consent and other prerequisites for addenda.
You might also like
Along with this document, make sure you see these other templates in our library:
- Shareholder Agreement
- Promissory Note
- Employee Option Repurchase Agreement
- Share Appreciation Rights Plan
- Share Option Plan
Stay compliant with the Zegal template library
Zegal legal template are meticulously crafted with the precision of AI and the expertise of seasoned human lawyers, providing a unique blend of speed and reliability.
You can trust that Zegal agreements are legally sound and fully compliant with current regulations.
Using Zegal will reduce risk, save money, and improve efficiency. Let us take care of the paperwork so you can focus on running your business.
Don’t compromise on speed or compliance. Stay secure, compliant, and efficient with Zegal.
Choose from 1000+ legal templates and draft contracts with ease and confidence.
Contract and document management made easy.