What is a Purchase Order ?
A Purchase Order is a standard document that customers or clients can use to make repeat orders for goods or services from a business.
A Purchase Order is a formal way to record orders made for goods or services and helps ensure that a business is in a position to meet the needs of clients or customers. When a Purchase Order is accepted, a binding contract is formed.
A Purchase Order sets out the delivery address, the number of goods or scope of services, the price, the shipping costs where appropriate, and the payment terms. It also creates a record of orders that can then be matched with invoices.
Key points included
- Name and address of customer;
- Delivery name and address;
- Date of the purchase order;
- Payment terms;
- Quantity of goods or description of services;
- Unit price; and
- Total price of all the goods or services.