What is a Resignation Letter (4 Weeks’ Notice)?
This is a resignation letter from an employee to their employer, giving 4 weeks’ notice.
How to create a Resignation Letter (4 Weeks’ Notice)
Easy to Use Legal Templates
Quickly and easily create any legal agreement for you or your team.
Straightforward pricing plans and bespoke packages built to simplify all your legal demands.
Vast Document Library
Zegal’s comprehensive collection of agreements means you always have what you need at your fingertips.
If you feel like you’re in need of a resignation letter, you may be asking yourself certain questions. Whether you’ve had it with your boss, you’re burnt out, or you just need to move on for personal reasons, resigning from your job can be a cathartic or stressful experience. There are a ton of examples of good resignation letters.
Key Points to Include in a Resignation Letter
- State your intent to resign. Importantly, make sure you have everything lined up before you submit this letter.
- Provide a last day of employment. Essentially, allow adequate time for a transition and allow your employer to train a replacement. Notably, this allows both parties to deal with this transition amicably and with respect. Obviously, this will likely be within a 4 weeks notice period.
- Reason for resignation (optional). Feel free to provide reasons for your resignation. Typically, these may include a move to a different location; a better opportunity; or for private personal reasons.
- Contact information (optional). Usually, tying up loose ends will make a better long-term impression on employers. Subsequently, offering your contact information can help ease the transition.
How do you write a 4-week resignation letter?
You can draft a professional letter of resignation with ease. Remember these tips before you start:
- Use professional language and tone. Make sure that you use a formal and friendly tone.
- Keep your explanations short, and to the point yet make sure it is reasonable.
- Remember to thank your employer for the opportunity and growth during your time.
- Don’t make things personal and give the courtesy of providing enough transition period.
- End your note on a positive note.
The big ‘NO’s while writing a resignation letter
- Informal and impolite notice about your departure.
Resignation is a formal process. No matter what your reasons for leaving are, keep it formal and do not be rude to the addressed personnel or the company.
- Don’t use this as an opportunity to criticize your employer, boss, or co-workers.
While you may no longer engage or work with them on a regular basis, you will still be in the same industry as them. Do not take your departure as an opportunity to criticize them or demeaning to anyone.
- Keep it simple and fact-based.
Do not be tempted to dive into your explanations a lot. Keep them strictly fact-based. Only include what’s relevant and important.
- Most of all, don’t complain.
Do not take up a resignation letter to express dissatisfaction or complaint about what made you unsatisfied. If you have grievances from your time at an organization, you can fill up a grievance form or even talk to HR and discuss them in an exit review/interview.
Essentially, a formal 4-week notice resignation letter is a key first step to your departure from your current company. However, you’ll also need to work out how this message is communicated to the rest of your team and the company. Importantly, work with your manager and your human resource representative to coordinate that for a smooth transition.
You Might Also Like
Along with this document, make sure you see these other templates in our library:
- Shareholder Agreement
- Option Agreement
- Employee Option Repurchase Agreement
- Share Appreciation Rights Plan
- Share Option Plan
The Zegal Template Library
Zegal's template library is a list of essential and premium business templates for your everyday legal needs.
Save money and time without sacrificing quality or missing vital legal requirements. Whether you're a startup or a larger enterprise, Zegal lets anyone create a legal agreement.
Let us take care of the legals so you can focus on running your business.
If you need more help, our "Talk to a Lawyer" feature gives you access to a qualified lawyer to get all the expert advice you need.
Try it for free today!
Ready to get started?
Create a free account now and explore all of the Zegal features.
No credit card required
Choose from 1000+ legal templates and draft contracts with ease and confidence.
Contract and document management made easy.
Pay As You Go
Nice things people say about Zegal.
"Using Zegal allows us to take a lean and efficient approach that cuts costs while maximising results."
"Zegal is easy to use and customer service is responsive and helpful! I strongly recommend it!!"
"Zegal makes onboarding a new client or employee fast and simple."
“Zegal really works well for all our legal documentation needs, and it is also user-friendly and mobile at the same time.”
Daniel W. Ho
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
“Zegal is like my teammate, helps me draft the right template, quickly gets my work done, and also saves me money on legal needs.”
CEO & Co-Founder
“With colleagues, partners, and clients across the globe, Zegal provides an easy-to-use tool that streamlines processes that saves costs and time.”
CEO of Turnkey
“Zegal has been such a great help in my business operations.”
Amanda A Atan
Managing Director at VIBES Mastery
“With Zegal, we work smarter rather than harder. Being a business professional, a proper document management system is always a must.”
“Zegal, a platform for compact package of legal templates, secured e-signing, reasonable cost and high level customer service.”
“Zegal is easy to use, affordable and the platform is simple to navigate which makes the process of putting together a document fast and fuss-free.”
Founder & Managing Director
“Love the new flow/design, very quick and easy to use now. I have done 2 or 3 customer contracts in a flash over the past 2 days.”
General Manager and Managing Editor
“Consistently positive experiences with Zegal’s technology, and customer services teams, who ensure that our issues or questions are responded to immediately.”
CEO of Turnkey